About Face


When we as writers come up with new story ideas, the excitement level can often be compared to the discovery of a lost civilization. Not that I'd know, but let's assume.

So, when I recently created a new character and "world" for a TV show idea, I spent days and days writing interesting situations, dynamics between characters, and dialog. Then I thought, "wow", maybe I shouldn't go in that direction and instead try to make it be more like something that's a variation of what's on some of the networks, right now... Let's say it's a crime show.

So, after I read it, I had several people give me reads with wonderful responses. Of course they're not people, who are regularly buying and selling literary material. So, when I began pitching it out, I had a literary rep immediately pass because there are several of the same type of show being released this fall. What? Where did I go wrong? 

The answer is simple. My original idea was strong and fresh, but in order to try to fit within what's currently the type of show out there, I followed the other fishes. Should have gone with my gut. Stayed in my flow, upstream with my first idea, that I was excited about. Not a variation on a safe scenario that has been rehashed over and over again.


Sure "they" can make five or six variations on the same type of show, but I can't because no one will take a risk on me... YET.

Had I stayed with my original idea, I would've gotten a read. Guaranteed. 

So, instead of spending the day at the beach, I'm doing an ABOUT FACE and rewriting the pilot back to my original idea. And guess what... It feels right. And I'm six pages away from FADE OUT.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crypto Dust in the Wind

Swiss 1960’s Army Replica Leather Ammo Pouch - Pattern Review

Spice Cake in a Mug - Recipe